Monday, April 11, 2011

Freakin' out with CPO Freekeh Flour

First a quick description of CPO freekeh:  It is young green spelt berry that has been roasted to produce a slightly smoky tasting grain; I have used it in salads, as a side dish, in risotto, as a hot cereal, pudding...the possibilities are only limited by your palates' imagination.

Erick Smith, the bearded ring-leader of Cayuga Pure Organics, was able to hook me up with a 5 # bag of freshly ground freekeh flour.  Now it was time for me to decipher the code (aka figure out what the hell I was going to do with it).  Erick told me that it is used to thicken soups in Eastern Europe, but other than that I didn't have much of a lead.  The trick when dealing with these fancy flours and grains is not to be intimidated by them;  it's only roasted green spelt that has been milled into flour.  There is the key...spelt!   So I did some research on spelt flour and decided to apply the findings to the freekeh flour.  One important note on freekeh flour:  the gluten levels are low because it is harvested before they have a chance to mature; it is not going to hold together like a high gluten bread flour.  Armed with this information, I developed recipes for freekeh brownies and sourdough freekeh crackers (using whole grain sourdough starter produced from wild i-town yeast); both turned out great and recipes will be arriving here shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment